9 Pro-Tips to Improve your Video Storytelling
The demand for video storytelling is at an all-time high. Here are some key facts about what viewers want from videos, along with Pro-Tips to help ensure your content meets that demand.
Fact: Over half of video content is viewed on mobile.
- Fill the frame with close-ups of your subject. Avoid too many wide shots.
- Use a macro shot or extreme close-up to enhance your message.
- Make your on-screen text large enough to read.
Fact: Videos up to 2 min. get the most engagement.
During the scriptwriting phase of the video production process, lead your team to craft a story that will have an emotional impact and hook the audience in the first 30 seconds.
- Try a quick montage to flash images that will resonate with the audience and build a desire to see more; make them want to figure out the story.
- Create a quick pace. Avoid showing talking heads on camera for long periods of time.
- Apply the three-act structure — try to use 30 seconds for each “act.”
Fact: 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound.
If part of your strategy is to distribute your video on a mobile device, and if Facebook is part of that plan, then keep the need for silent playback in mind during your pre-production.
- Frame your shots to allow for text overlays.
- Create intrigue with a rotating close-up of a person or product.
- Use animation – most people love animations. (Thanks, Disney!)
As you search for ways to meet the high demand for video, remember that you are telling a story. A sage mentor once said, “By telling a story using video, you can leave a lasting impression on your audience that is far greater than if you choose to tell that story using only written words” (Hook-Engage-Evoke).
Would you like more Pro-Tips? I love feedback; it helps me grow. Email me: email@example.com. If you liked what you read, please subscribe and you’ll receive helpful topics delivered to your inbox each week.
Improving Your Corporate Videos
Making a Business Video: 5 Questions – 5 Answers – 5 Pro-Tips
37 Staggering Video Marketing Statistics for 2017
10 Tips (and a Ton of Tricks) to Maximize Your Video Content Investment
How to Make a Professional Video (A Marketer’s Guide to Video Production)
Part 1 – What Should I Do First?
Part 2 – Pro-Tips for Pre-production
Part 3 – Pro-Tips for Production
Part 4 – Pro-Tips for Post-production